If you or a loved one have served in the military, there are options to receive big-time discounts on restaurants, events, housing, and so much more. Businesses are tipping their caps to veterans and helping them save on expenses. Find out the inside scoop on where to find discounts.
Types of Discounts
There are several places that have a variety of promotions to assist military veterans and their families. The following categories offer discounts to eligible veterans:
- Entertainment: If you are interested in fun activities, there are exciting places and events you can get tickets for. In fact, a lot of establishments will let you in free of charge. Veteran.com offers a complete list of family-friendly options to choose from, such as aquariums and other walk-through displays. GovX also offers cheaper tickets to different sporting events if you are looking to attend.
- Merchandise: Some retail stores have yearly deals on merchandise for active military and veterans. GovX is a marketplace that partners with big brands such as Under Armour, NorthFace, and many more to sell quality apparel and footwear at a discount. They also provide links to some of their partners’ websites for discounted items. You can sign up for free to become a member.
- Food Restaurants: Before paying the entire bill at the next restaurant you go to, double-check to see if they give a percentage off for veterans. Military.com has an extensive list of restaurants offering free meals on certain days and year-round discounts.
- Car Purchases: Some car companies will help with your vehicle expenses. For instance, Ford will put money toward the car you purchase or lease from them. All you have to do is enter your zip code and see what the best options are offered to you. The amount you get toward your car will depend on what area you are based in.
- Housing: The Veterans Affordable Housing Program can help with the cost of rent in the first few years of move-in. Additionally, financial assistance is offered to those looking to put a down payment on a house. This program even offers advantages for installing accessible ramps in your home if you are handicapped.
- Hotels: Hotel expenses don’t have to be as high as you may think. You can sign up for Veterans Advantage to access up to a 45% discount on your stay at the Extended Stay America Hotel. This place is located all over the eastern side of the United States. Other places either do not offer discounts or differ in prices, so find out beforehand what the hotel’s policies are.
- Travel: Some airlines offer veterans a discount for their airfare. United Airlines has a ”Veterans Advantage Discount” that gives 5% off to eligible members. Once you enroll, you will be given a code to apply your discount. Several other airlines also provide discounts, such as American Airlines and Delta. Check out the options offered by each airline before confirming your next flight.
Please be aware that most, if not all, of the offerings mentioned above will require verification that you are a veteran. Active military members will also have access to many of these discounts and other assistance programs.
Do The Same Discounts Apply Everywhere?
For most of the big-name companies offering veteran discounts, they are available nationwide. However, discount rates can change depending on the company and the state you live in. Be sure to check the policies and offerings of the exact local establishment you go to.
While these aren’t exactly considered “discounts,” there are some significant state benefits worth mentioning. For example, Veterans.ny.gov lists further financial help available for veterans and their family members in New York. The Gold Star Parent Annuity Program is one current program that provides relief to the parents of deceased veterans. Some states also offer tax deductions for certain eligible veterans. For a list of different benefits offered in your state, please click here.
There are so many discounts to keep an eye out for. Whether you are searching for restaurants, activities, or just ways to save, there are companies nationwide that can help.